Response to "A Chip in My Hand Unlocks My House. Why Does That Scare People?" by Zoltan Istvan


Istvan's Article


I've heard of many people voluntarily inserting microchips into their bodies for the purpose of improving their everyday lives, and not gonna lie, I've also considered it. 

Istvan touches very briefly on many of the current opinions of on microchips, especially those that aren't a necessary procedure such as the chip that is needed for a cochlear implant to work. There are various opposing views but so far none of the opposing groups against voluntary microchipping have gained much traction, especially in legislation.

As far as I what I think about those opposing groups, I don't think they will have a strong voice until there many more people who decide to get microchips and the microchipping movement becomes larger and increasingly well known. These people tend to feed on the fear that getting an unnecessary make cause medical problems, but so far there haven't been many side effects to warrant an immediate stop. 

Unfortunately, the movement is mostly underground, so that means that the people who currently get these procedures done, do so in places that perhaps aren't considered medical offices. I think those that are afraid of negative biological reactions, feel as though someone in the medical field should perform the procedure. But on the other hand, it is such a simple procedure that I believe anyone can do it, given the right equipment. I see it as a simple as going in to go get a tattoo; the person who is tattooing a design on someone's body does not need a medical license to insert ink into the dermis of another person, so why should microchipping be any different?

The allure of inserting a microchip in your in order to facilitate everyday activities is perhaps the most important decision factor for most. Personally, if a microchip could unlock my door, make cardless payments, and allow me to clock in at work, why not get it? The small chance that it might be rejected is slim, so if the benefits outweigh the costs, people should get them. 

Yes, I understand that getting a procedure that is not required to live a functional life, seems completely preposterous. Istvan quotes Max More, and I could not agree any more with him. No one should get to tell me what I can and cannot do to my own body as long as am not harming anybody else. 

Comments